E & E Law Group
For a Free Consultation Para una consulta gratuita
View Our Practice Areas

New motorcycle law in California

Cruising along the highways and byways of California can be thrilling, but doing so illegally can lead to jail time or a fine. If you or a loved one operate a motorcycle on the state’s roadways, it is important that you are aware of the laws that control what you can and cannot do. We at E and E Law Group not only work to help you get the compensation you deserve in the event of an accident, we also provide education about how to safely use these vehicles.


The California Department of Motor Vehicles states that drivers must obtain an M1 license in order to operate a motorcycle.  If you are between the ages of 15 and a half and 17, you must have had an instruction permit for at least six months in order to qualify for a license. After the probationary period and behind-the-wheel driver education training, you can apply for your license. Parents or guardians also need provide a signature for a minor.


While those over the age of 18 do not need driver education training and those over age 21 may not need an instruction permit or any type of motorcycle training, all drivers will need to pass skills and knowledge test and a vision exam. Fingerprints and a photograph will also need to be taken.


Once you have obtained a motorcycle license, you will be responsible to operate the vehicle safely. For more information about what to do if you are involved in a motorcycle accident, please visit our web page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.

back to top